Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bloodless Blood Drive


So today I was supposed to give blood. My lovely friend cooked me a delicious omelet in preparation for my big day, and accompanied me to the blood drive. What I didn't realize was blood drives are quite the event on campus. I arrived at 11 AM, and left at 3 PM! That's how long the line up was. At first they turned me away because they were too busy, and I was told to come back at 12:30. But even when I came back, it took me 2.5 hours to move through the entire process. By the time they registered me, pricked my finger, and interrogated my sex life, I was exhausted, cold, and hungry.

Finally my time to give blood came. I was actually kind of excited by the prospect. I am not afraid of blood or needles, have a high pain tolerance and was curious about the procedure. One donation saves three lives! Needless to say, I was pumped. But apparently, my veins were not. Immediately the nurse started shaking her head and looking from one elbow to the other. My veins were tiny, and my pulse was weak. They only managed to squeeze out enough blood to test me for diseases before my blood stopped pumping. I was pretty disappointed.

But worst of all, the nurses all teamed up on me about how I don't eat and am underweight! Not only did I feel like a rejected donor, I felt like a bulimic donor there to shed a pint of body weight. So after four hours I am left a pin, bruised arm and wounded ego.

I fear this blog is quickly entering the realm of the discovery of the not so fabulous life. But before you lose all faith in me, I do plan on trying to donate blood again! This time I will just eat and drink like a trucker before going.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I imagine most donors are plump- Or maybe they tend to pile up on snacks/ beverages for the harrowing line up.

    In any case, you are a hero with good intentions at heart. :)


    Vinita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Sarah, I'm sorry your first time donating wasn't super positive, I had a rough time too, by the time they got all the blood out of me I almost fainted - But the nurses were all so positive!

    ReplyDelete