Monday, November 16, 2009

Fetching, Seeking and Rolling Over



I apologize for taking longer this week to update the blog. School has entered that infamous stretch where you aren't quite sure if you are not sleeping too little or too much. My program's portfolio show is in a week and as such I have been trying to build my very own portfolio online. As much as I am a fan of the quick and easy solution Carbonmade provides for poor students like me, it was definitely time get my own.

While my courses have been amazing at giving me real world experiences, and teaching me how to think of great creative ... coding they lack. I originally had lofty ideas of creating this beautifully illustrated binder with lined paper inside and old school tabs to navigate. But after an evening of watching tutorials, and playing around in Dreamweaver and Flash, I realized I was out of my mind. I took a computer engineering class at University of Alberta. You had to get the coding perfect. And if anything was off, even a space, the whole program wouldn't work. I was so excited when I figured out how to program a basic calculator. I am pretty sure the only reason I passed that class was because I was the only girl out of 100 guys... it wasn't exactly hard to find a lab partner willing to do my work.

So, I created my website in iweb. I have to say, I didn't really like it as a program. After the absolute control of CSS programs, the interface on iweb bothered me, it wouldn't allow me to move from computer to computer, and it shoves mobile me down your throat repeatedly. When I have time, or more likely, when I can afford to make time, I seriously would like to teach myself Dreamweaver and Flash so I never have to use iweb again. But until then, I am satisfied (although it probably doesn't sound like it).

I feel like there is a whole other world inside online coding and I am clueless. Trying to learn about Protocols, Fetching, and Hosting all sounds like some kind of weird Martha Stewart special.

I realize some of you will say this particular goal was cheating as it was school related. But in my defense, it is career related, and hopefully going to help me land an internship come January!

Check it out! sarahrutherford.ca

1 comment:

  1. OMG...Good luck with Dreamweaver! It's uber intense and huge and I have tried several times to get through the start up tutorial....I have yet to make it through the first few steps!! LOL. It would be nice to take a course somewhere on it. That might help.

    ReplyDelete